As the weeks and months of summer fly by, educators are beginning to think about the school year ahead, crafting new lesson plans and planning classroom layouts. The latest and greatest technological tools for the classroom can make the job of teaching more fun for teachers and more engaging for students, easing the transition from sun and beaches to science and books. These top 8 technological classroom tools can help make learning exciting and interactive for both teachers and students.
- Interactive whiteboards. With touchscreens and projection capabilities, this modern version of the traditional chalkboard promotes collaboration and participation among students. Content can be more easily brainstormed, manipulated, saved and digitally distributed than ever before.
- Wireless presenter with laser pointer. This handy tool allows teachers to manage slide presentations for students while having the freedom to roam the classroom as needed.
- Classroom carts. Classroom carts come with a variety of capabilities, depending on the teacher’s needs. Some versions come equipped with a document scanner, wireless tablet, and speakers for a full audio-visual learning experience while other models can charge, store and transport dozens of tablet computers.
- Digital pens. Get struck by a great lesson plan idea on the fly? Need to take notes at a staff meeting or a conference full of exciting new concepts? Educators can use digital pens to export handwritten notes directly to a computer or mobile device for easy editing and sharing.
- Digital microscopes. Bring your students’ scientific studies to the big screen with this tool, which can allow groups of students or entire classes to view microscopic images together on a computer screen or interactive whiteboard.
- SMART Exchange. A library of ready-to-use SMART Board lesson plans, calendars, games, and more. Educators can search for new lesson plans or connect with other teachers around the world by sharing their own resources.
- Instant polling. Use tools like Socrative or Poll Everywhere to test your students’ subject matter knowledge or poll other school staff members to get feedback in real time. Audience members can answer questions by using their mobile phones or computer web browser; results can be viewed instantly on the web or in a PowerPoint presentation.
- Messaging Platforms. Systems like ClassDojo or the Remind app allow teachers to provide feedback on important classroom skills, engage easily and instantly with parents and students, and share fun moments, announcements, and reminders.
If you’re an eSchoolPLUS customer, our Family App is designed to tighten the feedback loop between schools and families by putting just-in-time information that supports student achievement at the fingertips of parents/guardians and students on their mobile device. Easy-to-view icons quickly connect students, parents, and guardians with classwork, schedules, attendance, grades, activities, and more. By displaying data through the lens of action, the Family App helps schools and families support student achievement. In addition, the Family App is a 21st-century tool that helps students develop skills in productivity and time management that can benefit them throughout their life.