Purchasing directors are tasked with the responsibility of connecting district staff with professional, efficient, and cost-effective vendors to support their school district’s requirements. To locate the highest quality goods and services for your schools at competitive prices, here are 10 quick tips for managing vendors in your school district:
- Consult with your school board or department to determine your budget. Then stick to it.
- Select the right vendor by analyzing your school’s requirements and choosing the vendor that best meets them.
- Negotiate a contract after you’ve narrowed the list down. Ask for feedback from your team during the negotiation process to avoid costly mistakes.
- Be sure you know with whom you will be doing business once the contract begins. A key contact person is helpful, particularly in an emergency.
- When starting a new business relationship, ask for a shorter-term contract with the option to renew in a few months. You don’t want to be locked into a long-term agreement if you end up not being satisfied with the vendor’s services.
- Don’t enter a contract with severe penalties.
- Remain flexible. Bargain for what’s important to you against what’s important to them to come to a mutually beneficial agreement.
- Supervise the vendor from start to finish, particularly with tasks that directly affect the health of your school district.
- Communicate constantly. Be open about your expectations and let the vendor know when you need services to be completed.
- Exercise good faith. After you’ve done your due diligence, start off a vendor relationship on a positive note to keep things going in the right direction.
Managing vendors can be a difficult task. With SunGard K-12 Education’s eFinancePLUS Vendor Access Center and BusinessPLUS Vendor Online, purchasing directors can manage the vendor registration processes, reduce routine vendor requests by providing self-service options, and manage the distribution of vendor 1099 forms. BusinessPLUS Bid Online creates efficiency and helps purchasing directors manage every step of the bidding process .To learn more, sign up for a demonstration today.